If we desire to make a list of demonyms in Spanish and cover all the Spanish-speaking countries we might list some examples such as: Puerto Ricans are called Puertorriqueños or Boricuas, Costa Ricans are recognize by Costa Ricans or Ticos and the Nicaraguans are Nicaraguences or Nicas. But when Latinos refer to Americans, the list of Spanish words is a little even more extensive. Is gringo the just Spanish slang word for American? Of course not!
If you want to learn how to say Amerideserve to in Spanish, take a look at this list and also infographic that consists of the standard Spanish terms and some Spanish slang words. Remember that you can share or pin this infographic on Facebook and also Pinterest.
You are watching: How to say from the united states in spanish
How to say AMERICAN in Spanish according to the Royal Spanish Academy
In Spanish, regularly two versions of a word or phrase exist: the formally welcomed language which the Royal Spanish Academy (RAE) desires us to say, and also the various other is what we actually say. First, I’ll begin through the correct Spanish term welcomed by the RAE to analyze “American.”
1. estadounithick (estadunidense)The Diccionario Panhispánico de Dudas by RAE states that the correct name in Spanish you should use to describe the human being from the United States of America is estadounidense.
2. americanoHere is the concept clarification between the demonyms americano and also estadounidense. The RAE adds that the use of the name americano should be avoided to refer exclusively to the citizens of the United States. For some latinos, it may offend them, yet for others, it is frequently accpeted. “America” (and in turn “American”) is provided in English as an abbreviation of “USA of America.” Do not forgain that América is the name of the entirety area (North and South America) and also americanos are all that live anywhere in the region.
3. norteamericanoAlthough it is not regarded favorably by the RAE, the word norteamericano y Norteamérica (North America) are widely used by Spanish-speakers to describe the Americans and also the USA respectively. Without a doubt, in Spanish Norteamérica is the sub-continent that consists of the nations of Mexico, United States and also Canada.
How to say AMERICAN in Spanish the colloquial way
4. gringo or gringaThis is the a lot of prevalent Spanish slang word used almost everywhere the Spanish-speaking nations. Contrary to what some world think, this is in no method an insult. There are 3 theories of the beginning of this word:
a. From griego to gringoA variant of the word griego in recommendation to a language that can’t be understood, equivalent to the English saying “that’s Greek to me.” Etymology professionals think that this concept is the least likely beginning because of the number of measures that this word would have actually taken to morph from griego to gringo.
b. From peregringo to gringoWikipedia provides us the second theory: “Instead it is asserted that gringo might derive from Caló, the language of the Romani civilization of Spain, as a variant of peregringo” interpretation peregrine, wayfarer, and also stranger.
c. From “green go” to gringoSome various other folk theories suggests that gringo came from the phrase “green go.” In Brazil it is thought that it remained in reference to the foreigners that took ameans all the green (nature) from the Amazon. In Puerto Rico, the renowned story shows that the word came from a the demanding expression “Green, go!” from the locals that weren’t happy with the USA armed forces government whose personnel offered to wear green uniforms.
Some cool colloquial phrases in Spanish that usage the word gringo are:
• andar a lo gringo (Chile): going commando• gringo de agua dulce (Honduras): derogatory for a Hispanic white perchild through light colored eyes.• hacerse el gringo (Colombia and Ecuador): synonym for hacerse el pendejo or to act stupid, choose a fool or idiot
5. gabacho or gabachaThis word is offered in Mexico as: a) an American citizen, b) the USA, c) any type of foreigner
6. grenchoYou will hear this word in Honduras and Guatemala.
7. yanquiThis word is generally shelp in Argentina to refer to an Amerideserve to and also anypoint regarded the USA. In some parts of the neighbor nation Boliby means of the expression yanqui llocalla indicates a relatively young perchild that adopts the customizeds and behavior of Americans.
8. yumaThis word is supplied in Cuba for 1) Amerideserve to or 2) United States.
See more: Solved! Why Are There So Many Spiders In My House In The Summer Could Mean
9. yoniThis word is supplied in Ecuador, Argentina and also Uruguay.
Do you know various other words in Spanish for American?